Chair: Susan Sabatino
Co-chair: Marietta Meyer
The Diversity-Outreach Committee and the CUNY Graduate Center seek to increase the multiculturalism of LP² membership to more closely reflect that of New York City. Diversity results in a wider range of voices and backgrounds and enhances the experience for all within our academic and social community.
Objectives for the Next Two-Years:
- Ongoing outreach to underrepresented populations at LP², by active engagement with the University community, professional societies, community-based organizations, houses of worship and other diverse arenas.
- Increase NYC’s metro-area awareness of LP² and identify ways to mutually engage.
- Identifying and tackling barriers to increased diversity.
- In cooperation with other LP² committees, develop specific policies and action plans that support diversity.
- Encourage the broadening of course offerings, SIG and activity groups to expand our knowledge of the history and culture of diverse communities.
- Sponsor workshops, speakers and study groups which support Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
- Offer DEI-based study groups (e.g., Race: Complex Conversations, Systemic Inequalities).
- Initiate dialogue with other relevant committees to increase the diversity of LP² membership.
Desirable Skills and Experience for Members:
- Commitment to social justice, diversity, and an openness to self-reflection.
- Familiarity with the current literature of anti-racism and anti-oppression is welcomed but not required.
Committee Member Selection Process and Terms:
New members are selected through an interview in consultation with the chair and director. Members serve three years, with optional 1 year extension. During the spring semester, the Committee announces in The Observer openings for following academic year. Members interested in joining the Committee will be provided with an application form that covers the member’s interest and understanding of LP²’s efforts to improve our organization’s diversity.